In simplest terms, networking is communicating with people about your research or career interests. The career benefits of a strong professional network are extensive: learning about different careers, getting advice from people working in that field, and establishing contacts who may know of useful training or job opportunities.
How do I network with Open Doors?
All of the Open Doors speakers and mentors participate because they are interested in helping graduate students. They have successfully navigated the transition from PhD/MFA to career, and they have a wide variety of insights and experiences that they are willing to share. To take advantage of #COA16 networking opportunities, we recommend the following prior to the event:
- Join our Network.
- Research Open Doors speakers. (Use LinkedIn, Google, and company websites)
- Prepare an elevator pitch (Learn how here)
- Spruce up your Digital Identity (Get a new picture, join LinkedIn + Twitter)
- Develop 1-2 specific questions (Examples here)
- Follow up. Connect and thank individual speakers